Friday, December 20, 2013

The Voices Are Back

They're baaaa--aaack!

You know, the voices we all have that constantly remind, scold and cajole us.

I don't know about the rest of you runners, but my running voices tend to be louder than a lot of my other ones, especially now that I am training for Boston.

And, they have been going crazy since Pennsylvania started experiencing winter....as in snow and ice.

Every time I'm out and about in my non-runner persona, the running voices still take over. 

"Be careful. Don't fall."

"Oh, can you only imagine what will happen if you hurt yourself now?"

"Don't think about falling.  It will only make you more likely to fall."

"Shuffle, shuffle, shuffle, shuffle."

 

I'm not a person who tends to feel a lot of pressure, especially in running-related things.  After all, my philosophy is pretty much, "Hey, I'm not going to win this race so I might as well just do the best I can." 

But, being selected as a charity runner for Boston has changed that somewhat.  Now, much of what I do is focused on April 21, 2014.  (And, I'm not saying that's a good or a bad thing. It is what it is, right?)

A few weeks ago, my running partner became injured and I think that ramped things up a bit for me.  All of a sudden, I was conscious of all the people supporting me in so many ways to be able to run 26.2 miles in four more months.  And, the thought of "what happens if I get injured?" has been creeping into my thoughts over and over again.  And, then some.

 In the end, I know I'm doing all I can to stay healthy, raise the necessary funds and be ready to rock in Boston on Patriot's Day.  In fact, my running has never been better. (Oops...there go the voices.  "Don't write that.  You're going to jinx yourself."  "Be quiet. There are no such things as jinxes."  "Oh, now you've done it."  "(Scoffs.)  The sentence is staying in.") 

Each day, in addition to my running agenda, I also do a series of running-specific physical therapy and strength training exercises.  Regular readers of my blog will know that I got injured after my first marathon and I will do pretty much anything to avoid that again.  Plus, after my recent race in Steamtown, I felt every one of those 26.2 miles in my knees and hips.  When I researched how to make them stronger, guess what I found?  Yep, almost all the PT exercises I had been given a year before.

Although I'm not dieting per se, I am also conscious of what I've been eating and am down about 5-6 pounds with the goal of taking off another 10 before Boston.  Why?  Because 10 pounds translates into about 20 seconds faster per mile.  Oy vey.  It IS all about running, isn't it?


I still have a ways to go in training and fundraising, but I'm working on getting along with those voices and have them help rather than hinder me along the way. 

Can't wait until they say, "We knew you could."  ("Yes, and we will say that.  We know you will. See how benevolent we can be?")

So, good or bad, my voices and I will continue to train and talk with the goal of getting 'er done.  What about you?  What do the voices in your head tell you?

Catch you later at the back of the pack!

http://2014dougiesteam.kintera.org/faf/donorReg/donorPledge.asp?ievent=1088920&lis=1&kntae1088920=92A063C5F0AB469ABDE60C6BBF8CA5EF&supId=395141415

facebook.com/viewfromthebackofthepack

twitter.com/lindabackofpack






No comments:

Post a Comment