Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Welcome to the View from the Back of the Pack!!

Let's play a bit of word association.  When I say, "Runner," what is the image that comes into your mind?  

Probably some gazelle-like, long-limbed, muscular body that gracefully glides from one long stride to the next.  Maybe female runners who look something like this: 


Or, perhaps, you thought about one of those women who started running cross country in high school and has now birthed multiple children, works 62.75 hours a week, manages a household, was recently voted as her neighborhood's Miss Congeniality and still manages to BQ. (Boston Qualify for those of you unfamiliar with running lingo.)  You know, someone who looks like one of these women in pink: 


And, then, there's me.  A proud back of the backer.  Someone who didn't start running until she was 45 years old.  Someone who has never finished higher than in the bottom 40% of the pack.  (Ok...once I finished sixth in my age group.  Yes, there were eight of us!)  



And, as much as I would love to belong to the previous two groups, I know I am not.  And, for the most part, that's OK.  Because I've learned that I love running and I am a runner.  Because running isn't about speed, it isn't about finishing....it is truly a lifestyle.  And, the view from the back ain't so bad.




No comments:

Post a Comment