Monday, November 11, 2013

A Different Kind of Runner's High (Spectating is not a Sissy Sport--part 2)

"Tissues and Vaseline!  What more could you ask for from a random stranger?"

That's what I yelled around the mile 20 mark of the Harrisburg Marathon yesterday.  And, if you run marathons, you know those things come in handy as you log mile after mile--especially on a windy day.

The water caravan.  
I have taken this spectating thing to a whole new level.  Because of it being a local race yesterday, I went armed with signs, a cowbell, tissues and Vaseline along with supplies for runner friends.

Actually, my day started early because I volunteered to help with the water station delivery.  Yes, I know the water doesn't deliver itself, but I never really thought through HOW much work goes into just that aspect of a race.

As the lone female (most of my counterparts said they just didn't want to get up that early!), I helped load water, powdered Gatorade, tables, cups, emergency supplies, Gu and various other things to deliver to eight aid stations.  It was a great upper body workout--at least that's what we told ourselves!

Admittedly, I wandered off after the third station (with prior permission!) to join some of my running buds at the start line and go into full spectating mode.

From there, I ventured to several spots to hand out tissues and as much support as I could!

This wasn't me, but I looked just like it!


This experience differed significantly from my first spectating one at the Marine Corps Marathon a few weeks ago.  First, a much smaller field meant I didn't have to elbow my way around other spectators. And, I could drive from one spot to another, parking on the same street where I was cheering.  (Try THAT in DC.)

Plus, I knew so many runners.  It was great to see the faces of so many running friends as they passed by. I could actually call them by name rather than bib number!

So, I became (by virtue of self-naming), "the tissue lady."

I tried to make people smile and not think about a few steps by calling them "Special PR tissues" or telling the runners they were "clean and unused!"  Then, a friend stopped by and said, "I don't know if I'd take tissues and Vaseline from a random stranger," to which I replied, "The ONLY place I'd take tissues and Vaseline from a perfect stranger would be a marathon!"  And, my earlier line was born.

Finally, I ran out of tissues, so I switched sneakers, removed a few layers and trotted back a mile or so to join my running partner for her final six miles.

Of course, I had spent the previous hours cheering on hundreds of runners, so I was pumped!  I did my best not to totally annoy my friend and two others who paced with us.  It was tough not to be perky and annoy them, but I told them I was the only one with brain cells left so they had to listen to me when I told them to "jog nice and relaxed for 30 seconds."  They joked about pushing me into the river, but I was able to see them all finish.

Just like the last time I watched, I was exhausted although I tried not to say that out loud to those who had just run 26.2 miles. After leaving the race, I went home to take a two hour nap!




Yesterday taught me again that running is a community sport.  Whether running or spectating, a race can be a magical thing....no matter where your feet find themselves on the day of a race.

Catch you later at the back of the pack (or handing out tissues and Vaseline!)







2 comments:

  1. If it had not been for us running into you prior to the race, we would not have my great profile pic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say it is a pretty good photo! :)

    ReplyDelete