Monday, October 21, 2013

On Death and Dying....and Running

Wow.  It happened again.  I just heard the news that a runner died during a local half marathon.

Not long ago, another man died in a local triathlon.  And, for a few moments, my running group panicked because the man who died shared the same name and was close in age with one of our running buddies.  While relieved it wasn't him, we still shared in the sadness it happened to the other gentleman.

In my first marathon, two runners died.  One was a young college student and the other was a middle-aged competitive triathlete. Both were trained runners and in seemingly good shape.

As I write this blog, I happened to read another Facebook post about a young local "ultra" trail female runner who fell sick during a 5K and died of a massive heart attack.

As a runner, it's sobering to think that you might suddenly pass away participating in the sport you love (or love to hate.)   Anytime a death occurs in the running community, it hits us hard.  Because we know..."there but the grace of God, go I."

I'm not suggesting that the majority of us think it could happen to us, but it seems like the deaths we hear of are people just like us.  They are the same age, in the same condition with the same racing experiences as any of the rest of us.  They are people we met through running and forged bonds over the many miles--the tough ones and the ones that made us raise our arms in victory.

I can only imagine these people who died--like most of the runners I know--were out there enjoying themselves, pushing themselves, and wanting to prove themselves.  It doesn't matter how fast or how slow someone is, running is a very personal sport.  Sure, others help train and motivate you, but in the end--ain't no one else responsible for how you finish except you.

What a tragedy to literally leave it all on the course.

I have so many questions about those who have died this way. How suddenly did it come upon them?  Did they feel sick during the race or just when they ramped it up?  Were they a novice or advanced runner....or somewhere in between?  Did they have family and friends there waiting to celebrate with them at the end? Had they had earlier issues or did this episode come out of the blue?  Did they have any sense of foreboding?  Did they die doing something they loved?  And, if so--would that bring comfort to their family and friends?

Not long ago in Missouri, a young runner--husband, father, and runner--went missing after an evening run. He was found several days later in a Portajohn.  What happened that led him into the Portajohn?  What was he thinking before and during the run?  Was it just a typical run that went bad or were there signs?

I'm sure the answers are as varied as the runners themselves.  And, I have no doubt, people ask these kinds of questions after any unexpected death.

I do know most events are attributed to undiagnosed cardiac issues and the majority of deaths in running occur very close to the finish line.  One study I read recently said there's no really good test to see who's at risk.  Plus, as the same article said, exercising is always better than not exercising.

Believe it or not, the rates of runner deaths pale in comparison to other sports and even the general population.  In fact, the article said  "the incidence of sudden cardiac death in unscreened men during exercise is 1 in 280,000 per year. In studies of the risk of death in marathons, it's been estimated that one death would occur in 50,000-88,000 marathon finishers."

An article in the Baltimore Sun says a "study, done by Dan Tunstall Pedoe, the medical director of the London Marathon, found a death rate of one in every 67,414 runners over a 20 year period, or one death for every 2 million miles run. Heart related illnesses, often undiagnosed, were the most common cause of death. 


Another study, done in 2007 by a doctor at the University of Toronto, examined 26 marathons over a 30-year period and came up with a ratio of one death per 126,000 participants."

But, it still happens.  And, when it happens, it hits a nerve in the running community and we feel a solidarity for that runner and his or her family and friends.  And, I know I've said this before--but runners are some of the greatest people I know.  In many races, I have witnessed other runners struggling while other runners checked on them to make sure they were OK.  It's not unusual for someone to stop their race so they can come to the aid of a fellow runner.

Just in my recent marathon with a relatively small field, I saw a female runner vomiting, a man clutching his leg in the middle of the course and another man in his early 20's collapse into a wheel chair immediately after the finish. I thank God for the other runners, medical people and race staff who have responded so quickly to these emergency events.

So, when someone actually dies, it's sobering.

As a friend recently said, "It's about more than running."

That it is, my friends.  That it is.

Hugs, peace and prayers to anyone who's ever been affected by a runner's death.  And, if you're reading this, that means you.


Leave me a note in the comments section with your thoughts.  I would love to know if others agree with me about the solidarity and/or have the same questions I have.

Hope to catch you later at the back of the pack!



4 comments:

  1. Thanks for capturing so many of my same thoughts. So in a race that goes badly, am I displaying a lack of heart by not pushing it or am I protecting my heart!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd definitely say you have TONS of heart....so in a bad race, you are protecting yourself!

    ReplyDelete