Friday, October 4, 2013

Unintended Consequences--Ripples and Roadblocks on the way to Boston

When the bombs went off at the Boston marathon in April, I'm sure no one (save a few rogue economists) might have been able to measure the ripple effect.  But, those bombs have created ripples and roadblocks for what I'm sure is more than what the bombers planned on.

FIRST AND FOREMOST, let me say that the consequences for those who lost their lives or were injured during the events of April 15 come first in this ripple.  We must not forget the emotional and physical challenges they and their families have and will continue to face.  Plus, there were countless others who had their dreams of finishing their first Boston marathon interrupted and many more who had significant direct consequences from the bombers' action.



I was only there in spirit that day and anyone I knew running the race that Patriot's Day emerged relatively unscathed, but now--six months later--I am feeling the effects of what happened on on Boylston Street.  Who'da thunk?

Let me go back in time a bit.

YEARS ago--when the only thing I ran was office polls--my mother, mother-in-law and I were watching news coverage of the Boston marathon.  My mom was the most fit of us that day as she ran/walked five miles each day.  I dabbled in aerobics and my mother-in-law walked and none of us were anywhere ready to tackle a marathon, but we joked about being bandits on the course one day.  Not knowing anything about marathon races, we were sure we could just show up at the back of the pack, start running and no one would notice.

Then, I started running for "real" in 2010 and in 2011, recalled that conversation.  Then, I realized that Patriot's Day comes very close to my birthday.  And, in an overzealous new runner kind of way, I set my sights on Boston 2014--the year I would turn 50.  I even found a Facebook group of other runners training for 2014.

There was a time where I thought I might actually be able to qualify and then the Boston Athletic Association (BAA) moved the finish line and tightened up the qualifying times.  It was then I realized there was no way a back of the packer like me could run Boston without being a charity runner.

So, I contacted Team Hoyt (the father/son running team where Dick Hoyt pushes his son Rick in the wheelchair) about possibilities of running with them.   That's where I learned a little about how bibs are distributed and how much money I might need to raise (as in thousands of dollars.)   

Kathy in the Team Hoyt office told me they offer their former runners the chance to run first and if there are leftover spots, they have an application and interview process.  She said they typically only had one or two new spots each year and weren't a direct charity--they had to rely on John Hancock to provide them with a number of bibs each marathon.  But, she said, "the squeaky wheel gets the grease" and she encouraged me to keep checking in with her. 

As a waffling runner (I'm going to do that....no, I've changed my mind....maybe I'll change it back again), I went back and forth over the last few years about how to celebrate my 50th birthday, but I continued to stay in touch with Kathy.

In the weeks prior to the 2013 race, I thought about going to Boston to watch the race since I knew multiple people running it.  But, my schedule didn't work out and I stayed at home and tracked my friends online.  During that period, though, I solidified my plan to run Boston 2014 as a charity runner.  I knew that's what I wanted to do and, ironically, had planned to contact Team Hoyt again a few days after the 2013 marathon.

Then, we know what happened at 2:49 p.m. on April 15, 2013.

 As a quote attributed to David and Kelvin Bright said, "If you are trying to defeat the human spirit, marathoners are the wrong group to target."  And, maybe even better, Stephen Colbert said the terrorists weren't thinking when they chose the marathon because it "is an event celebrating people who run 26 miles on their day off until their nipples are raw--for fun."

Instead of being fearful about the 2014 marathon, runners of all abilities made that their mission--to run it.  Novice runners began training for it on April 16 and past participants looked for races to qualify.

I chuckled when news reporters said Boston 2014 was going to be "bigger and better" because I knew the infrastructure of the famous race can only manage so many.  And, BAA has been working on narrowing the field--not widening it.

Then, came the announcement that BAA would indeed increase the field size by 9,000 to a total of 36,000 runners--not the highest number, but a major increase.  Then, they also announced they would start registration earlier than normal with those who had qualifying times of 20 minutes or more faster than the already stringent "BQ" times being allowed to register first.

I watched as friends carefully calculated their chances of getting in.  And, I watched as most of them joined the field, although a few--were unable to qualify--missing the cutoff by seconds.

And, I still planned on being a charity runner, being a little naive about what the increased numbers meant for those programs.  But, here's what I've learned.

Of course, there was a trickle down effect to charity runners even though I didn't realize the extent to which it would get.  Team Hoyt told me fairly early on to identify other charity programs because they would probably not have additional bibs.

I also learned that the charity bibs get extended in various ways. Some get their directly from BAA while the majority of charity bibs (it appears) go to John Hancock who then divvy them up to worthy causes.  When I first contacted a number of charities, they told me they were on hold from John Hancock and were also playing the waiting game to see if they got any bibs.

And, practically every single charity has told me they have unprecedented interest in charity bibs for 2014.  And, guess what that has done?  Same as for qualifiers, the standards to compete have increased.   Not only are their more applicants, now there are tougher application and interview standards and....you guessed it....higher dollar amounts to raise.

Most of the teams initially said they were looking at a fundraising minimum of $4-$5K for charity runners.  Now, the applications that have recently been distributed have increased that mark to AT LEAST $7,500.  In fact, some are saying runners will probably not be selected unless they can guarantee fundraising of at least $10,000.  One runner friend told me he could have run for a particular charity if he guaranteed raising $20,000.

Wow!  So, to be a charity runner, you have to apply--typically along with a $40-$50 application fee, have your application scrutinized to see if you "fit" the runner they are looking for (generally, those with a vested interest in the cause), go through interviews and wait to see if you are one of the lucky ones.  Yes, one of the lucky ones who then get to pay $300+ in race fees, raise $7,500 for the privilege of putting themselves through winter training so they can run 26 miles on a Monday in April.  

But, I'm still in the game!  And, I want to be one of those lucky ones.  I'm losing a bit of hope, but I have strategically chosen teams that I believe in and can raise the appropriate amount of money.  I have hotel reservations (about the halfway point in the race--20 minutes outside of Boston for $180 an night) and friends and family who are waiting to see if they need to take time off to see me run from Hopkinton to Boston.

I know it will be a challenge in more ways than one, but I am up for it. 

In all of this, though, I sit back and think...what if those bombs hadn't gone off?  And, who would have thought that tragedy would affect my plans to celebrate my 50th birthday?  Again, I want to remember those who have had much more disruption to their lives, but I still can't help shaking my head and thinking--really?  That has rippled down to this level?

My body might not be struggling up Heartbreak Hill, but my heart lies in Boston 2014.  And, regardless of what happens, I still turn 50 and will keep on waddling...in life and in running. 

Catch you at the back of the pack!




an event celebrating people who run 26 miles on their day off until their nipples are raw - for fun'. - See more at: http://www.usaukonline.com/latest-news/10389-stephen-colbert-pays-tribute-to-boston-in-touching-monologue-after-marathon-bombings.html#sthash.fkU4ndjo.dpuf
an event celebrating people who run 26 miles on their day off until their nipples are raw - for fun'. - See more at: http://www.usaukonline.com/latest-news/10389-stephen-colbert-pays-tribute-to-boston-in-touching-monologue-after-marathon-bombings.html#sthash.fkU4ndjo.dpuf

No comments:

Post a Comment